Ratharney - B.S.S.M.
R�th Athairne, Aharney's rath or earthen fort.
Ratharney - J. O'D., Revd. E. Mc Gaver, P.P., Edgeworth' s County Map, Education Report 1826, Thomas N. Lennon, J. P.
Raharna - Down Survey
Raharnagh - Down Survey Map
This townland lies on the road from Cole Hill to the Village of Legan. It is surrounded by the townlands of Killeenboy, Rathsallagh, Cloonbrin and Drumanure in this parish, of Castlewilder in Agharra Ph., and of Cole Hill and Killinbore in the parish of Taghshinny.
It is the property of the Countess Dowager of Ross, held by deed for ever. It contains 321 acres, of which 3� acres are water. The whole of the land surface is cul-tivated. It pays �20 13s. 10d. to County Cess. There is a gentleman's seat, called Smithbrook House on its south side. A school a fort and Columbkille's Holy well are on its east side.There are also a fort, called Ratharney Fort, and Ratharney Trigl. Station