Archives Acquisitions Policy
Longford County Archives Acquisitions Policy
Statement of Authority
Longford County Archives Service was established in accordance with Section 65 of the Local Government Act 1994.
Acquisition of Local Authority Archives
The Archives Service seeks to acquire the archives of the local authorities of County Longford, past and present, including those of:
- The Borough Corporations of Longford, St Johnstown (Ballinalee) and Lanesborough
- County Longford Grand Jury
- The Poor Law Unions of Longford, Granard and Ballymahon
- Longford Town Commission
- Longford Urban District Council/Town Council
- Granard Town Commission
- Granard Urban District Council/Town Commission/Town Council
- Longford County Council
- The Rural District Councils of Longford, Granard and Ballymahon
- Longford County Board of Health and Public Assistance
The acquisition of the archives of the present local authority will be in accordance with a records management system to be established within it.
Acquisition of archives of private origin
Longford County Archives Service seeks to acquire archives of private origin of relevance to the county, including the papers of individuals, businesses and organisations.